There's never been a better time than now to learn a new skill, do some online learning or start to look for the perfect job! What better way to take your mind off the news or make use of those spare hours.
There are loads of different things you can try and lots of resources online to help you along the way. Here's some links to give you a few ideas:
Why not take this opportunity to enhance your CV by doing an online course or just build your knowledge on a subject that interests you.
Future Learn has lots of free online courses covering different topics including psychology, science and IT. You don’t need any experience or previous knowledge to do most of the course and you can complete the courses in your own time in the comfort of your own home.
The Open University has loads of free courses which you can complete online. They vary in length, with courses having study times between 4 and 24 hours which you can complete at your own pace. Courses include a range of languages, sport and history.
Reed has a range of courses available online which will help to boost your CV and skills.
Alex from Sheffield Futures has put together some top tips to help you find and bag a job during this lockdown period. This includes thinking about what to say on your application and in a job interview……
- Four Minute Fire - #1 Demonstrating skills
- Four Minute Fire - #2 Lockdown Jobs
Barclays Life Skills has a range of interactive tools, films and activities tailored to help you prepare for your future. It includes information on interview skills and CV building and offers some virtual work experience.
Just for fun:
Learning a new skills can help to ease boredom and take your mind off everything thats going on. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Pete Mckee cartoons - Learn how to draw cartoons with Sheffield's Pete Mckee
- Painting with Bob Ross
- Learn sign language
- Skill Share - Lots of people are sharing their skills, teaching you how to do them from drawing to photography
- The science of wellbeing class
- Free photography classes
- 50 new skills you can learn on Youtube - things like whistling, clean an oven and teaching your cat to high five!
- Learn a new language
- Learn something creative
- Experiments for bored adults
- Learn the guitar
- Learn how to juggle
- Dazzle your friends with some magic
- Cooking - Check out the cooking page on the SCLU website for receipe ideas and also our SCLUTube page for cook-a-long videos.
Why not share your learning online for the chance to win a prize?
The Young People's Benchmarking Forum have launched a competition for care leavers to share their lockdown learning through photos.
To enter send a photo of what you've learnt (or you doing your new skills) to email@example.com marking it #LockdownLearning and #ypbmf or DM or tweet and tag us through @ypbmf @nlcbf #LockdownLearning on Insta or Twitter with caption & picture.
The deadline for the competition is 29th May 2020.